Saturday, July 28, 2012

FBSMC4: How Are You Doing So Far?

So far there has been 5 sessions that include 21 videos. That is a lot of information, knowledge and practical exercises with tons to think about and apply for those who are interested. There will be more videos coming in the second week of August, but I wanted to 'check' in with you all who are following this.

Because of the 'live' nature of the presentation, you might have to really take your time and let yourself get into the spirit of what is trying to be communicated. Also, in the midst of it all, write down some of the practical exercises and try them out. But try them with the attitude and sentiment of a musical approach.

What really does the word musical mean?


Musical does not stand for, in my view, over emotional indulgence or a theater of self emoting so others can watch. Musical is in the spirited connection to the essence of what one is doing. The musical connection goes through and through our entire being. It is the DANCE of sound expressing itself through our mind-attitude, emotion-feelings, body and instinct. It is the artist who is searching for the right color or shading, it is the architect finding the shape and contour of a building, it is in the cook pouring their love into the food and wanting to cause joy in others, it is in the healing touch of a sincere nurse when he or she practices the Art of care and on and on. Please find examples yourself. It will put you on the frequency of music as a living thing.


Find a simple exercise that is given in any of these videos or writings that interests you and/or you feel the need to work on. Then find something in life, a movie, a dance, a picture, a gesture, something in nature, to put in your attitude and feeling while working on it. It is a simple and natural thing.


Be the artist of your own music making. Working on the basics ideally should be joyful. If one is injured and has to 'start over again' it is back to the basics. Nurture these basics with love and care and they will be your friends and companions throughout your whole playing career. That is the key to a musical approach to the basics.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These videos are so great. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Unknown said...

Following FBSMC has brought joy of playing back into my life. Audition prep in the wrong way had sucked a lot of happiness out of my playing and just a few weeks of working on your concepts has made it a lot more fun (and I think, a lot better).

The musical world desperately needs what you have to say. Keep on!

Unknown said...

Following FBSMC has brought joy of playing back into my life. Audition prep in the wrong way had sucked a lot of happiness out of my playing and just a few weeks of working on your concepts has made it a lot more fun (and I think, a lot better).

The musical world desperately needs what you have to say. Keep on!

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr.Bolter

I am a Spanish trombonist and I have been watching some videos and posts from your blog FREQUENCY BONE but unfortunately my english is not very good and so I can not understand all your advices, tips and exercises.

I have a great problem with me high range because really I don't know what things, ideas or technique I have to do to get it, so I would be very grateful if you could explain the high range technique easily. I am very disappointed and frustrated.

Please, can you help me?

You are doing a great work for trombonist players and for musical world.

All the best!

José