Monday, January 21, 2008

Birthday Surprise and Thank you!

This past Thursday, January 17th, was my birthday. But when I got up that morning, I had no idea what I was going to find.
As I've mentioned in a previous post, my wife and partner, Carol, has been going wild with Garage Band, putting new great sound clips on our website. But what I did not know was that she actually also was planning to release, as our first digital down load, "Long Live Symphony Hall" to honor my birthday! I was totally surprised and absolutely delighted!

It is, thanks to Carol, our first release of recorded music since 2002. We have so much music waiting to be released. And now, we have a little more time to have it actually happen. But, Carol NEVER ceases to amaze me with her ongoing dedication to find new ways to transmit the signal of what music, art and life means to us, so others, who may be interested in this approach, can have a better chance of knowing about it.

Carol told me the story about all the different people she had to get in touch with to help with the various components, so it could actually be ready by my birthday, because it didn't just take posting the music. She listed the 'cast of thousands' with a twinkle in her eye and a smile but I know she was up till midnight the night before my birthday and made it all happen just in time. PHEW!, is what I feel just thinking about it. I am very touched when people go through so much for others. In this case, I am the other, and am blown away by it!

This piece, "Long Live Symphony Hall," was the last piece we performed on our concert in April 2001 in Jordan Hall with the Frequency Band. This concert was the finale to an intensive first time ever, week long, international Frequency Band retreat. We had people come in from Denmark, Holland, France and New Zealand, plus people from other states and, of course, many from New England. It was a powerful week, filled with self discovery that, in many ways, stretched the limit of everyones preconceived ways of going on.

The recording that Carol and the team has made available is very potent and uplifting, with a majestic strength and accessibility. It was the only piece written for Boston Symphony Hall's centennial celebration.

For those interested, I highly recommend this for your upliftment and enjoyment. It is a wonderful way to hear the Frequency Band in action, and what we mean by "music as a living thing"! What a fantastic birthday present.

My love to all who made it possible, with an extra dose to my extraordinary wife.

No comments: