Saturday, October 27, 2012

Recalling My Times with John Swallow, Part 2

Wow. Today was an interesting day. It has been exactly 37 ago today that I won the audition to be in the Boston Symphony. Little did I know at the time, that I would be conducting the New England Conservatory Prep and College division trombone choirs on Symphony Hall stage 37 years later. The students rose to the occasion and played terrifically. There was also something else special in this concert. I dedicated the last piece that we played, an arrangement of "The Great Gate of Kiev" from "Pictures at an Exposition" to John Swallow. It was a very potent, powerful and sentimented performance. The audience and the students felt the warmth of the dedication and the students really played from their hearts.The audience certainly received it and gave us a standing ovation. I'm sure John heard it..

Some very nice and funny stores in this next series Part 2 of Recalling My Times with John Swallow.




No comments: