Monday, October 17, 2022

Companion Notes for FBMCFE Ask Me Anything Video 4

These particular questions in this video 4, ask very direct questions that are more personal to me. The questions lead me to talk a lot about my own life. One of the things I never put together before this question by Tim,(What has trombone playing taught you about yourself/the world?), was what the trombone taught me about the value of waiting. I had to wait almost 5 years from the point I wanted to play (age 4) until I actually could start to play (age 9). I never lost my interest or desire during that time period. But I had to wait.

Looking at it this way was very interesting and speaks of several things including the potency of desire. Desire in regards to human development, is a double edged sword. I think we all have experienced having desires for things which turned out to be not the best choice for us right? So the power of choice and what influences us to make choices comes into all this.

For example, the body needs food and gets a desire (called hunger) for food and perhaps even a particular kind of food. This can seem very simple, but for someone who is trained in diet and functional health, knows that food is either medicine or poison. It is either healthy and nutritious or is too high in sugar, certain oils, harmful preservatives and actually are "empty" calories that create problems to our health. Also, if we were raised in an environment where food was not really thought about carefully and we relied on food to comfort us in times of stress, we develop habits that take us away from the actual reason for food which is the healthy functioning and good maintenance of the body to live a vibrant life. This requires good nourishment rich in vitamins, minerals, healthy fats, protein and good fiber. So many times our desires are created from conditions we were raised in. Environment is a very strong influence!

In my case, no one in my immediate family was a trained musician except for my uncle who played piano. My grandfather was a self taught violinist who played old Yiddish and Polish folk tunes. My desire to play trombone was sparked when I saw Mr. Greenjeans play a trombone on the old favorite baby boomer television kids show Captain Kangaroo. But that impression was so powerful itgot into me.” I couldn’t let it go. I HAD TO PLAY THE TROMBONE!! Was it a karmic connection from the past? It was such a strong pull. I was certain (when looking back to that time)that we picked each other at the level of instinct and it was an excellent match in so many ways for which I am truly grateful. Music eventually led to spiritual unfoldment with a great thirst for  truth and understanding which pointed in the studying of natural laws and human behavior. As my great life mentor always said, "It's the direction something takes (that is important and telling)." All I can say is what an incredible gift. And the greater gift was where "IT" directed me or should I say, AWAKENED in me!!

TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments: