Sunday, October 21, 2007

Another Excerpt from
"The TAC Legend Writings"

The brass players from the The Amazing Club were asking Master Manlon some questions on various topics. The subject of warming up was raised and here is an excerpt from this discussion:

Bert: "So you generally start with the same note everyday?"

Master Manlon: " Yes, I do. It is amazing how different that note can feel. And even if that note doesn't feel too different, other things in my warm up might.

Yes, Antil, did you want to say something?"

Antil: "I notice the difference in my air capacity. Some days, it feels like my air comes in very quickly and easily. Some day,s it seems like a big effort. On the days it feels like a big effort, what can I do to get past that obstacle sooner?"

Master Manlon: "The Golden Rule, which I'm sure you have heard many times is: Start with what you 'can do.' If you can't take a full, large breath, find out what kind of breath feels better. Perhaps, a faster but shorter breath. Start playing with half of your air capacity and see how it feels. Perhaps, you need to focus more on exhalation. See how that focus alters your inhalation. Sometimes, if we sit and work with what is and get in tune with that, then we will find movement usually starting to happen. Remember, sometimes the physiology will not support our concept or our concept might not fit our habitual way of going on."

Antil: "Is that why concepts are hard to change because they basically have just become unconscious habits?"

Master Manlon: "Yes, but there is more to it than that. It goes deeper because the concept that has become habit has also become an identity. For instance, if a person is known to others as having extremely fast technique and they end up getting arthhritis or have an accident, can they, or more precisely, will they allow themselves to change in order to continue to play? Or will their identity for being known as a speedster not let them?"

Antil: "It makes me wonder, if we think about music as a living thing, something that we are in service to rather than as our sole identity, we might not get as attached to our abilities and the constant need for recognition."

Master Manlon: "That is an excellent attitude to develop... It takes awhile to grow into this state of consciousness. So, if you still feel the need for a lot of recognition, it's OK, as long as you keep moving on...."

The above is from my book in progress, "The TAC Legend Writings." Click here, here and here to read other excerpts.

1 comment:

Tina said...

Ah! Now I think I know what 'TAC' stands for! I have been wondering about it when reading the excerpts.
It is really amazing (!) to read the excerpts and I am very much looking forward to the book being published - I will make sure to get a copy of it. When reading the excerpts they leave me full of wonder and inspiration;