Friday, August 24, 2007

Music as a Living Thing

Some of you might not know this, but I do a lot of writing that is not music. I want to give you a very small excerpt from part of a large writing I am currently working on:

"Music as a living thing is a fundamental core alignment that creates the internal environment in a person to experience their art as a part of life, not seperate from it."

I picked this quote because it describes and explains in a concise way what music as a living thing is to me. Since I mentioned this in my Profile, I thought some of you would like to know what I meant by that statement.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this blog Norman - I will be checking it often!

It has just occurred to me - while I am practicing for two upcoming auditions, trying to bring myself to the physical form and thought processes that will enable me to perform my very best - that, just like any other living thing, music cannot be controlled. All we can do is create the best environment for it to manifest.

And as we strive for the physical discipline that allows complete freedom of expression, our bodies cannot really be controlled, only taught gradually to respond to our requests.

Tina said...

Hi, Norman

What a stirring quote you have written about 'music as a living thing'. I love to play around with words and letters and one day it dawned on me that the letters in the word ART can read "Access Real Trust". It has been a bit like a sweet reminder to me about the internal arrangement I want to be seeking in life and also in music making and your quote reminded me of this, so I thought to share it with you :-)