Sunday, February 19, 2023

Bolter: FBMCWE New YouTube Video, Premiere of Times Of Changing Timbres

Hi Everyone,

I premiered a piece yesterday at a BOCO studio trombone recital. I had planned to make a YouTube video in my own setting soon afterwards. The soon after was tonight, 2/19/23.

Dr. V and I have learned many years ago that not every piece can be played in all environments. I'm glad I played it yesterday at The Boston Conservatory at Berklee and then to follow up in my own private setting tonight. As you watch the video, you will see that I talk about the piece and give some views of my own personal experience of the times we now find ourselves in plus my own need to express in a multitude of timbres.

With such an emphasis on consistency and evenness of tone throughout the registers for orchestral auditions, there really is not an emphasis for color change beyond dynamic contrasts, mutes changes and equipment changes. That can be a lot of change. But it is not as dramatic a change as string players are asked to do.

Timbre cannot exist without rhythm and or pitch. Timbre is the chamber (made of material and shape) of resonance for rhythm and pitch to appear. (But what creates timbre besides rhythm and pitch?!). In fact, the deeper we look into these three, (three being a cosmic law and spiritual number i.e. trinity), the One appears as three. Rhythm, pitch and timbre cannot exist independently. You can see each one, but they cannot exist without each other.

THINK ABOUT IT. IT WILL OPEN UP THE UNIVERSE. But, that is not the main reason for looking into it...

No comments: